Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 is off and rolling!

I know it is late, but let me start by saying we had a good holiday season. We were able to spend time with both the McKnights and Lofgreens for Christmas and New Years. Each family has their own holiday traditions and I feel luck that we are able to participate in the traditions for both sides.


The McKnights have a family dinner and talents show. The kids usually sing a Christmas song while I play the piano. Sometimes dad sings with the kids but not this year. There is always a special visitor to close out the night. Then they get together on Christmas Eve to read and act out Luke 2 and exchange gifts. This year we gave a sort of family history book with pictures we took throughout the year. I think they turned out nice.

My mother still enjoys caroling and does so every year. The sad thing is that there are people who look forward to us coming each year. I think my kids enjoy this also. Now that my brother and his family are back in town we are working on creating some new traditions. Those of us here is town got together on Christmas Eve to look at lights and have smores afterwards. My kids really enjoy getting to know my brother's kids better. They all love begin together so they piled in to the back of the truck and sang Christmas songs while looking at the lights. Since there were no out of town visitors for Christmas (most were here for Thanksgiving) my Mom and Dad came out to our house on Christmas morning to give the kids their gifts and spend some time with us.

We were lucky enough to be able to spend some time Christmas morning with four missionaries. For the last two years we have invited them to join us for breakfast and games afterwards. We have also giving them each a stocking with their favorite candy and then some. I would like to think that the missionaries enjoyed themselves as much as we enjoyed having them.

We were also lucky enough to be able to spend time with members of both families on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We started off at my parents and then stopped by Scott and Teddie's house on New Year's Eve. As we walked up to the door most of the family was walking out of the door to different activities. We were able to visit with Scott and Teddie and Angie for a little while and then we returned to my parents' house where we rang in the New Year with my Mom and Erin. My parents were kind enough to let us spend the night so that we did not have to make the 45-60 min drive home. It was nice and Joe and I even got to sleep in. Thank you kids! We had breakfast around 10:30 with my Mom when she got home from playing tennis. Then that night we went to Scott and Teddie's house to watch the Gators' game with al of his family.

So again we had a great holiday season and enjoyed being able to spend a good amount of time with our extended families. Since then things have calmed down quite a bit and for the most part things have been good. I started out the year with a head cold and it is still being passed around. Right now Rebecca and Kiley (I think she started it all) are suffering the most. I am afraid that even little Sarah has gotten some of it now.

Dad is back to teaching early morning seminary, working, and trying to workout. ("This is the year," says Joe.) The three oldest kids are back in school and into the third quarter. They are all doing well. Kiley, Sarah and I are back to hangin' out during the day doing whatever we want to. There is a member family that recently moved to our street and we are becoming quick friends with them. (He is in the Air Force and is currently out at the Base. They have two little girls and Kiley loves to play with them and I enjoy visiting with their mom. Chances are we know his parents from when we were living in Glendale.)

I feel very blest that things have started off so well and I hope we can continue this trend. We are so luck to have so many family members close by and we love them all. We miss those that are not here but enjoy seeing them when the chances arise.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Being sick is no fun. But hopefully 2010 is a good year for you guys. It sounds like you had a nice holiday season. We were glad we were able to see you all at Thanksgiving time.