Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Sunday Thoughts

I don't usually include my own thoughts into this blog but today I feel the need to share some of my thoughts.



1. This last month I had the opportunity to do lots of service for others. That service took me to the ER three times last month (I took my husband, my son, and a fellow church member). I was also able to offer service to my parents, siblings, and a neighbor. I was also able to offer service through my church responsibilities and callings to a number of fellow members.



While serving others may not always be easy or convenient, I am grateful for each opportunity I was given. I can see where I have been blessed for the times my service was offered selflessly and with nothing in return expected.



I was also on the receiving end of service this last month. I know those that served me and helped me out thought nothing about what they were doing and what they would get in return. Thank you Kim, Janelle, and the Young Women from church.



2. I have been thinking a lot lately about the things in my life that I need to change. Things that are really not hard to do but for some reason I just don't do. (Yes I admit I am not perfect!) The lack of these somewhat simple things in my life make me feel like I am failing as a good daughter, sister, wife, mother, neighbor, friend, and church member. Today's lesson in RS was another call for me to do pull these thing back into my life. The lesson was taken from an article "Progress though Change" by Marvin Ashton found in one of the 1979 Ensign magazines. It talked about how difficult and painful change can be to go through, but how dynamic it can be bring opportunities, challenges, and growth. It included four suggestions for making changes easier in our lives:

§ We must understand the need for change – be aware, recognize
§ The facts must be authentic - how, what, where & why is change needed
§ A system for change must be established - planned & organized, even though painful
§ We must be totally committed to our plan for change - the will to improve (this separates the winners from the losers)

So today I commit to changing the things I know I need to change and I will wait no longer. I will start today.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Just don't be too hard on yourself if it takes a while to change. I know that I often have these grand ideas and then fall short, and then I'm berating myself and give up. But studies show it takes about a month to break a bad habit and 7 days in a row of doing something for it to become a habit (well, those are the last figures I heard).

Chelsie said...

Thanks! I did take them - and I put them together with this photo editing site called picnik. It's an awesome site. You should check it out.