In case you didn't know a couple of months ago I was called to be the food storage coordinator (or specialist?, I don't know) for my ward. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about my calling and looking for helpful information to pass on to the sisters in my ward.
I have quickly been reminded that emergency preparedness is so much more than just having extra food on hand. While looking for information to share I came across this idea. (I am sorry but I didn't include the source of this idea, but I still think it is worth sharing.)
Tip for storing most important documents:
Scan them all and burn to CD/DVD. Keep one in the 72 hour evacuation bag and mail at least one to an out of state relative. Things you should include are: birth and marriage certificates, diplomas, maybe a backup of your family history and all your photos. (I thought about including copies of SSN cards, children's shot records, and bank account information. Include whatever you determine to be important to you.)
The idea here is that a copy of your important files is stored somewhere besides in your house. Nobody's house is fire proof, damage proof (look at the damage here in Phoenix from last night's storm), or even theft proof. Without some of this information it would hard to rebuild after any unexpected disaster.
No comments:
Post a Comment