Friday, December 9, 2011

Merry Christmas 2011!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  I can't believe it is Christmas time already.  We hope this post finds you all doing well. 

2011 has been an interesting year for our family.  It has been a year of big changes too!  We started off  this year with a move from Surprise (our home of five years) to Tucson.  Moving so far from family and "home" as not been easy for any of us.  We want each of you to know just how much you mean to us and that we miss you all.

So why the move to Tucson?  After years of trying, Joe was finally able to get back into the education field and started working as an Assistant Principal for a charter school in Tucson on December 1, 2010.  He loves that he was able to get back into education but he still misses being in the classroom with students.  He doesn't seem to mind much when he must jump in to cover a class for a missing teacher unless it is Math (his problem subject).   While he has too many responsibilities to list them all (and I know I would miss some), it is safe to say that he keeps very busy every day.  I will tell you that his main responsibility has been discipline.  In addition to his job, Joe served as Cub master for our church's cub scouts for a few months and is currently teaching Gospel Doctrine.  While doing all of this he continues to work on his second master's degree in History.  He hopes to be able to teach/oversee a college course or two in the near future.  One way or another he will do some teaching.

Rebecca (14) started high school this year and got involved with the school's cross country team.  She loves to run and complains because she has no one to run with so I thought this would be perfect for her.  She did well and improved against her own personal time each week.  Her best time was just over 27 minutes.  As for high school its self she has been a little overwhelmed with all of it.  She is still trying to figure out how to learn everything, get her homework done, and  still have a social life.  She has only attended a couple of church dances since turning 14 but seems to really enjoy them. 

Savannah (will be 13 on the 14th) is in seventh grade this year.  She was inducted into the NJHS at the end of last school year.  She does really well with all of her classes and enjoys school.  She played on one of the school's volleyball teams earlier this year.  She is still involved in the school's choir and hopes to join their drama program (with many of her friends) this next semester.  She is still quite the social butterfly.  I think she has taken this move better than the rest of us. 

Joseph (9) is in fourth grade this year.  For the first time ever we allowed his to join a soccer league.  He really loves to play the game and I was surprised to learn just how good he is at it.  After taking the AIMS test last year, we learned that he is a very smart boy.  He is doing well in school but doesn't appreciate the concept of homework.   This year he was tested for their gifted program but missed it by a few questions.  However, he has been able to participate in some extra reading program and is taking an advanced math class (he is doing 5th grade work).  I am proud to say that he has greatly improved in his behavior and accountability for his work this year.  Joe can be found either reading a book or playing the computer. 

Kiley is 4 and every bit the I want to go to school now kid.  She dislikes it very much that EVERYONE but her gets to go to school.  She can't identify the letters of the alphabet but she has learned how to write her own name and many other letters.  I try to work with her but she doesn't want me to do it with her.  There are days I wish I could afford to send her to preschool.  While she likes to watch tv she will not watch any of the educational programs or videos I have come across.  She has loved being in Primary at church this year and can't wait to get a new teaching in a couple of weeks.

Sarah is 2 now.  She is just like any other two year old- happy one minute and very moody the next.  She also loves to watch tv, but unlike Kiley she will watch anything.  I bought the "Your Baby Can Read" 4 disk set and she loves to watch those.  I do not play them as often as I should or as instructed so by the program (for my own sanity) but she can read all 16 words in the first book.  There are crazy big words like monkey, elephant, tiger, hippopotamus and gorilla.  She loves it though.  I think she is too cute for her own good most of the time and mine too.

As for me, I am still lucky enough to be an at home mom.  Outside of that job I don't do anything too exciting anymore.  Just after moving here I was called to serve in the Young Women as one of four beehive advisers (the current count for active girls is 15).  I was just released from that calling on Sunday and have not been given a new calling.  Since I have so much free time and nothing to do with it I decided to fill a need and was selected to be the PTSA Secretary for the Middle School where Savannah attends.  I have not spent too much time in this position yet and it has not required much time but I have been able to meet some wonder ladies and have a few laughs with them. 

Joe and I did take some long needed alone time this summer and went to visit my parents in Nauvoo while they are there serving a mission.  It was wonderful!  Everything was so beautiful and the history of it all is amazing!  (See some picture here on my blog.)  We hope to be able to make a family trip back there before my parents are finished in July but if not at least I can say I got to go. 

If you are ever in Tucson our door is ALWAYS open.  If you ever need a break we are in Tucson and our door is ALWAYS open.  We hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Love,
Joe and Emily McKnight and Family

5 comments:

Christine Mathews said...

Yeah, Mcknight FAMILY!!!!

Debra said...

Thanks for the update! I like to hear what's going on with the family. What is PTSA?

The McKnights said...

Sorry for all the misspelled words. I hope I caught them all. I was having a hard time writing this post. It kept bouncing the cursor all over the page and deleting some of what I was writing. PTSA standing for Parent Teacher Student Association (that was part that got deleted).

Jesmyluk said...

It has definitely been a busy year for you guys. We miss you dearly but love being able to keep up with your adventures via the blog. Merry Christmas Love the Cowands! {{{{HUGS}}}}

Anonymous said...

WOW I forgot how busy 2011 was. Let's make this another great year, shall we mom? :)