What a short but long summer break we had! Savannah and Joe have been back to school for three full weeks already. Which means Miss High School Freshman has been back for two full weeks. I think all three kids are glad to be back in school and they seem to be doing well at this point. I believe the first progress report of the year will be sent out at the end of next week so I will know soon how well or not they are doing. Joe is currently being tested for the gifted program at his school. Kiley is the only one not happy about the start of school because she is still too little to go. (She longs for the day that she will be able to go to school. She wants to learn but she does not want me to teach her.) Sometimes I wish I had the money to put her in a little preschool just to give her something to do a few days a week.
I made a overnight trip to Las Vegas with Erin and Karena for Karri's baby shower. It was such a quick but good trip. Lori, Lisa and their families also came up that weekend so I was able to spend a few hours visiting with them as well. Although my family is not really close I do miss all of them.
Rebecca and Savannah attended Girls' Camp with our ward and seemed to have a good time. Joe was able to attend cub scouts most of the time so that gave him a little something to do but not much. Since we did not get to go on any family vacations (because dad only got one week off- the week school started) we might try and do a few local weekend camping trips this fall. As far as I know all local campsites are still closed do to extremely high fire dangers.
With the one week Joe had off from work he and I decided to take a vacation and go visit my parents (and church history sites) in Nauvoo. We were able to see everything there, attend a session at the temple (with my parents), visit the Carthage Jail and surrounding sites, and swing by Mount Rushmore on the way home. This trip was simply amazing and has been something we have wanted to do for a long time. It really is a beautiful city with so much history and meaning. To know that early members of the church took a swamp and turned it into such a beautiful a place to live, work, and worship is amazing. To be where Joseph and Hyrum spent the last days and minutes of their lives was completely overwhelming. Feeling the spirit as I read some of their testimonies as we walked the street they walked as they said goodbye to the comforts of home and crossed the Mississippi River left me speechless. Oh how excited I am to know that one day I will be able to meet them personally and thank them for their faith and sacrifices.
Since this blog might be read by friends that don't FB here are link to pictures from our trip. For those on FB, the first link includes the same pictures I have already posted in an album. The second link is more of the historical sites of the city and they will not be posted on facebook.
https://picasaweb.google.com/116134648372053375744/Nauvoo2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjhr-O77o2VYA
https://picasaweb.google.com/116134648372053375744/FHENauvoo?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfrxLDy-KGargE
No comments:
Post a Comment