I am not a big fan of setting goals with the new year because I never seem to be able to accomplish the goals I set. I often ask myself why, but I am never able to come up with a good answer other than I lack the motivation and drive to complete them. I have tried setting very simple, short term goals but still have not been too successful. So what makes this year any different? I don't know that it will be but I have recently realized that I am lacking in some very basic areas of my live and what I claim to believe. So here is what I have already been pondering on the few weeks of this new year.
1. Late in 2010 I learned that I could be working on the Church's new Young Women's Personal Progress Program right along side with my own girls and receive the new jewelry. Now that both Rebecca and Savannah are in YW this would be a great opportunity for us to do some mother-daughter bonding. We can all work together on a goal or help support each other while working on individual goals. One of the requirements for the value of Virtue is to read the Book of Mormon. I was able to fine a schedule online that if followed will allow me to finish the B of M in one year. I am trying to read it everyday, like I know I should, but I am not always successful.
2. We just recently had ward conference and the theme was "Be thou an example" taken from 1 Timothy 4: 12. Since that meeting I have really been thinking about this- Am I being the example that I need to or should be? When you look at the scripture it reads, ". . . be thou an example of the believer, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." Am I really a good example in all of those areas? I don't think I can answer yes. So I am going to be a better example in all of these areas. I am also going to make more of an effort to pay attention to and meditate on the things that I read in the scriptures and church magazines and what I hear from my leaders and the leaders of the church.
3. This past Sunday we had four talks on the YM/YW theme for 2011 of "We Believe". Joseph Smith was so inspired by our Heavenly Father to make a declaration of just what it is the we (Latter Day Saints) believe. This declaration has been recorded as the Articles of Faith. The specifics of this theme come directly from #13. After pondering this and reading the January 2011 New Era, I have decided that I need to work on following the admonition of Paul better. This year I am going to look harder to find things that are virtuous, lovely, of good report, and praiseworthy.
So these are my current personal challenges for 2011. It is my hope that as I strive to return to the basic teachings of the gospel my life and the lives of those around me will be blessed. I want and NEED to be a better person for myself and all of those around me. I have been so blessed in my life that is it time to outwardly show my gratitude for all of my blessings.
2 comments:
I too don't like to make resolutions each eyar. I NEVER follow through. Those are very nice goals to have & I hope you are able to accomplish them all. I have faith in you Emily. ;)
Without trying to sound too "preachy" or anything, I have learned that I need to get more specific in goal setting to stay accountable, and I have helped people I counsel do this as well.
While your goals are good, they aren't specific enough. Is reading the Book of Mormon in a year your goal related to #1? That time frame can help keep you accountable. Or do you want to complete the whole YW Personal Progress program by the end of the year? Or do you want to finish 1/4 of it, etc?
For #2, how are you going to measure whether or not you're being a good example? Are you going to talk to 1 person each week at church who you don't know or haven't seen? Are you going to do one random act of kindness a day, etc? Are you going to bear your testimony 3 times over the course of the year? Make it specific and measurable!
For #3 how are you going to know you're doing better at finding those things? Are you going to keep a gratitude journal x days per week where you list those things? Are you going to create a list of those things and add to it daily something new you've noticed? Are you going to focus your prayers on being thankful for those things?
When you have the timeframes and specifics of your goals so that you can measure regularly how you're doing on them, you can adjust goals as needed if you realize they're not realistic or if you feel they're too easy or whatever. Plus, if the timeframes for certain goals are shorter, you can mark a goal as accomplished and move on to a new one. But you can also create charts or whatever to track your progress and keep yourself motivated or pick up the slack a bit if you fall behind.
Hope this helps, and good luck on reaching your goals!
Post a Comment