Friday, July 30, 2010

A hobby I would like to be better at

I have been thinking a lot about my desired hobby/talent lately.  I would love to develop the hobby/talent of photography.  I see photos from family member and friends that are just to die for and I long to have photos of my family that look like that.  With money always being short I can't spend the money for someone else to take pictures of my kids.  (Side note- I think the last time I spent money and had a pro take picture was in the hospital after Kiley was born.  The amount of money spend was ridiculous and the photos were never displayed and there are tons extra.  I see it as a total waste.)  So what had I been doing about this?  Well I have been in touch with friends that take pictures for their jobs and asked for suggestions.  I have been able to find some help in there recommendations.  Just yesterday I checked out four different book on the topic from the library.  I am taking notes as I read them.  I have learned that taken the actual picture is only a very small part of the whole process.  The key to great pictures is in the editing of them.  Months ago I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 to help with this but was quickly intimidated by this program.  So now I am trying to learn how to use the program I bought to do some of the fancier editing.  When I learn a little bit more I will post a couple of attempts for you to see. 

2 comments:

Chantel said...

It is a great talent to grasp. So many are getting into it which is great because you have so many to get help from. I LOVE taking pictures!! Its defintely a love of mine. One suggestion is to always shoot in manual from her on out. Don't shoot auto any more. Its frustrating but so worth it. Read pioneerwomen's blog on photography. She's a good starting place. Good luck!!

Jesmyluk said...

Its so funny that you wanted to blog about talents/hobbies. A friend & I were just discussing this very topic today. Because we have several women from my old ward in Surprise who have started a business in their talent from their home after taking a few classes.

Part of me extremely jealous & part of me so proud of these wondefully talented women.

I cannot wait to sit down & think about it for me a little more.