In RS yesterday we had a really good lesson on Friendship. The teacher started by sharing the following quote, "We are the pieces of a puzzle to someone else's life. We may not know where we'll fit, but others will fill their life with pieces of us." Author Unknown
She want on to ask, what makes someone a good friend? She then shared a poem that placed friends into one of two categories- givers or takers, and asked what type of friend are you?
This really got me thinking about friends. Today, if I count what I call "true friends" I could use less than one hand. I realize that as we grow up people come and go, but I never thought I would lose contact with almost everyone of my childhood friends. I have even lost contact with many of my college church friends. The quote above is so true even for those people that don't stick around. I have heard something about leaving footprints in the lives of everyone we meet. I have kept a piece from each of my "friends" close to my heart.
As I pondered this lesson, I realized that it is time for me to stop feeling sorry for myself and start looking for others around me that might feel the same way I do. If I want friends I must be more willing to be a friend to others first.
1 comment:
I feel like a big giver myself, but I know that people who have come into and have now left my life have left memories and made impressions on me, so I know I have taken as well.
And I know I'm not alone. After church yesterday, someone approached me and hugged me. She said she wasn't sure why but that she felt she needed to do it. I started crying.
No matter how many or few friends we have, we're not alone.
And you're not alone. I love you1
Post a Comment