Monday, June 29, 2009

Grateful for my Children

Well this is my first post on this site. Rather than Emily posting and updating the blog, I feel that this is one time that I need to share (this is Joe). On Saturday of last week I went to help a family move out of our ward. At the breakfast table we were going through trying to plan out the day and what needed to be done. When I mentioned that I needed to go to help move my children immediately asked if they could come to help. Rebecca, Savannah, and Joe all wanted to go and help this family that they didn't even know. It didn't matter who it was, they just wanted to help out. It is very rare that as punishment a parent can say - "if you don't shape up I'm not going to let you do service." They couldn't wait to get to the home and move things.

Well we showed up to the house and immediately Rebecca, Savannah, and Joe walked right into the house and started picking things up and moving them into the moving truck. All of them worked the entire time until we were all done. Everything had been moved that could be moved. They were so happy and excited that they did this. All I can say is my heart was full. How could I have been blessed with such wonderful children. I know that their Grandpa McKnight would have been so proud of them and their Grandparents that are still with us would be proud as well. They came home after moving for almost two hours and started on their work at home without complaining. It was just so wonderful.

On top of that I had asked them if they would help me with a special fast. Without hesitating all three said sure. It didn't matter to them that this week was not fast Sunday, if it would help they wanted to do it. Come Sunday they didn't need to be reminded and they never complained.

In particular I was impressed with Joe. His teacher specifically offered him candy in class and Joe said thank you and put it in his pocket. Then all of the kids went to primary and the president of primary gave smores to everyone. All of my children kept them in a baggy and didn't eat. They didn't try to go out of their way and say "hey - I'm fasting look at me" or anything. They simply said thank you and put it off to the side. It was just so amazing. I love my children so much.

It also made me realize just how lucky I was and am to have Emily as my wife. What a blessing to have such a wonderful individual shaping our children spiritually. I am so thankful that she said yes to being my eternal companion. My eyes have been opened to a whole new world in that I want to improve who I am as a father, husband, friend, and individual simply because I associate with her and want to be better for her. I'm sure that those who read this blog may feel that they are just as lucky. I'm glad that they get to feel that way. I hope you get to feel as wonderful as I do about my beautiful, spiritual, inspiring wife.

I don't feel that it would be appropriate for me to call everyone and boast about my children and my family so I figure if I put it here then whoever comes can read it and they will still understand how thankful I am for my family and know how much love I have for them and my wife specifically.

Heavenly Father truly has blessed my life.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I read this a while ago via my Rss feeds, and I totally started crying. It's so sweet. :)

And I think you have a great family.