Love it or hate it?
Some people set it up through their bank account, but others (like me whose bank want to charge me for it) set it up with the individual billing companies. Today I HATE it again! While it saves me about a min, a check, and a stamp it causes big headaches.
I just discovered that my car insurance, which was canceled in the middle of June, went ahead and pulled a payment from my checking account. For those of you like me, living paycheck to paycheck, every unexpected expense really hurts. Granted Joe gets paid tomorrow or at least I hope so. But the problem is that others planned on bills have not been taken out and now I run the risk of not having enough money in the account to cover them.
When I called the company they said that while a charge was posted on Monday a refund check for the same amount was issued that same day. Since a refund check has already been issued there is nothing they can do to help. I am so upset because when I canceled my policy I specifically asked what I needed to do to make sure this exact thing did happen. The lady I spoke with assured me everything would be just fine. Well it is not fine- Augh!
Another complaint of my is when they give you a scheduled pull out day and then don't use it. Last month I had a company that was suppose to pull out on a Friday and they waited until Tuesday or Wednesday on the following week to take out the money. I guess I shouldn't be mad, but the problem I have here is it makes it look like we have more money then we really do.
What to do? I wish I knew!
2 comments:
Joe has set up every single bill that he can for direct bill pay. We haven't had any problems with it. I don't think any have been set up through our bank, but we did realize that when we moved, that we needed to make sure the information submitted was updated. Our Comcast bill didn't go through the first month after we moved because of the information needing to be updated, but they said it was something on their end that prevented it from going through (and they had neglected to tell us that it wouldn't, which they apparently knew it wouldn't), so they didn't charge us a late fee or anything. Still, it sucks having to pay a couple months' worth of a bill like that at once.
Joe keeps track of our bills and all that through Microsoft Money. He updates the spreadsheet and even has it connected to our bank account to automatically update. Then, if and when a bill happens to get missed, as long as it is part of the spreadsheet, it is noticeable.
I personally like having due dates for bills on calendars. I have never minded paying them by hand and keeping a checkbook registery, because I do know that what you ACTUALLY have after checks have all cleared and checking account transactions that may have been listed originally as credit or otherwise take a while to go through can be very different than what the online information says is available. I have tended to use that online information as a way to double check my information and to follow up if necessary with anything that hasn't been posted.
Post a Comment